Crystal Palace Football Club is an English professional football club based in South Norwood, London. They currently play in the highest level in English football, the Premier League. Since 1964, the club has mostly played in the top two leagues of English football. The club was founded in 1905 at the site of the famous Crystal Palace Exhibition building by the owners of the FA Cup Final stadium, who wanted their own team to play at the historic venue. Palace applied to be elected to The Football League, but this was rejected and they instead joined the Southern Football League Second Division, playing home games at The Crystal Palace, inspiration for the club's initial nickname, "The Glaziers". Palace were champions of the Division in their first season, and played in the Southern League First Division for the next fifteen years.
In 1920 the Southern League Division One formed the Football League Third Division. Palace were crowned champions at the end of that season and gained promotion to the Second Division, where they spent four seasons before suffering relegation to the Third Division South. In 1958 a league re-organisation saw Palace become founder members of Division Four. Over the next eleven years, Palace progressed to the highest level of English football, the First Division in 1969, and stayed in the top division for four seasons before suffering successive relegations. In 1973 the club modernised its image, changing the nickname from The Glaziers to "The Eagles" and ending the 68-year association with claret and blue by introducing the red-and-blue vertical stripes now associated with the club. The club stabilised itself in the top two divisions with promotions in 1977 and 1979, the latter saw the club crowned as Division Two champions.