ArsenalAston VillaBournemouthBrighton BurnleyChelseaCrystal PalaceEvertonLeicester CityLiverpoolManchester CityManchester UnitedNewcastle UnitedNorwich CitySheffield UnitedSouthamptonTottenham HotspurWatfordWest Ham UnitedWolverhampton Wanderers

Gundogan's free kick tightens Man City's grip on the title

Manchester City retained the Premier League after surviving a scare on the final day of the season to eventually see off Brighton and beat Liverpool to the title.

For a couple of minutes, Liverpool were champions on the final day as they led Wolves with Manchester City falling behind at the Amex, but Pep Guardiola's men found their stride to finish on 98 points -- one ahead of their nearest challengers. Liverpool's 97 points is the highest total amassed by a runner-up in English top flight history.  

Glenn Murray gave Brighton a shock lead on 26 minutes, his clever flick from a corner sending Liverpool fans at Anfield into delirium, but City soon responded.

First, Sergio Aguero struck through Mat Ryan's legs after a fine touch from David Silva two minutes after City fell behind and then Aymeric Laporte headed unmarked from a corner on 38 minutes to make it 2-1.

Riyad Mahrez, making a rare start, finished excellently just after the hour mark and Ilkay Gundogan's majestic free kick put City further in control as their fans celebrated another success. 

City were comfortable in the second half as the goals flowed, killing off any lingering Liverpool hope and making it the first time a team has retained the league since Manchester United in 2009. 

With the title destiny in their hands before kick-off, City started tentatively with Brighton bright and posing problems on the counter attack.

Bernardo Silva had a good chance to settle the nerves early on but he was blocked in the area as he burst through on goal.

City were sloppy in patches and fell behind when Murray got ahead of his marker to beat Ederson and put Brighton 1-0 up. It sparked joyous scenes at Anfield as Liverpool were top as it stood, but City hit back.

Aguero got City back on level terms with a fine finish past Ryan and then Laporte's header put Guardiola's men in front before the break.

Mahrez then jinked his way through and finished with a brilliant right-footed shot into the top corner to make it 3-1 to the visitors. Lewis Dunk was turned inside out by Mahrez, whose effort was met with exuberant celebrations on the City bench. 

Gundogan put the finishing touches on a fine win and another Premier League title when he hit a sublime free kick 18 minutes from time as City finally saw off a spirited title challenge from Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, who beat Wolves 2-0.

Liverpool beat Wolves 2-0 on the final day but, despite finishing with 97 points, were denied a first Premier League title since 1990 as Manchester City also won 4-1 against Brighton.

Sadio Mane scored in the first half to give Liverpool hope, but despite going a goal down, City came back to claim back-to-back titles for the first time in England since Man United did it in 2009.

Fresh off their remarkable Champions League comeback against Barcelona in midweek, Liverpool knew they needed to win to stand any chance of lifting the title and Mohamed Salah was back in the XI again after missing out through injury. Champions League hero Divock Origi also kept his place with Roberto Firmino still not fit to play.

Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges but Liverpool took the lead on 17 minutes as Trent Alexander-Arnold found space to cross low from the right and the ball found Mane unmarked in the box, who hammered it home.

Controlling possession, Liverpool almost had a second as Andrew Robertson (fit again after being injured against Barcelona) lined up a powerful shot that was well blocked by goalkeeper Rui Patricio.

Fans were celebrating in the Anfield stands as news filtered through of a goal from Brighton, but it was a false alarm. Then, incredibly, a few minutes later Glenn Murray scored. But, inside 83 seconds, Sergio Aguero levelled for City to return things to how they were.

Back in Liverpool, Salah blasted a shot over the bar and Diogo Jota wasted a good chance for Wolves after getting in behind the defence and failing to pick out a teammate with his cross.

Since scoring, the Reds looked nervous and those nerves were felt in the crowd as news came through of Aymeric Laporte's goal to put Man City 2-1 up.

Things almost went from bad to worse before half-time as a flowing break from Wolves saw Matthew Doherty slid through on the right, but his looped shot deflected off the top of the bar with Alisson beaten.

Early in the second half, Alexander-Arnold tried a speculative effort from a free kick that hit the side netting and Ryan Bennett was booked for hacking down Mane on the break.

Doherty again found space down the right after a fine pass, but his cross found nobody in the box and Joel Matip was there to block a long shot from Jonny. Raul Jiminez then hammered a shot well wide.

Origi sent Mane away and the Senegal winger's ball across was deflected back into the striker's path, but he shot over the bar after turning well. It was his last action of the game though, as James Milner replaced him.

On 63 minutes, the crowd fell silent again as Riyad Mahrez made it 3-1 to Man City, leaving Liverpool needing a miracle. Then Jota was sent through but Alisson did well to come out and stop him before he could get a meaningful shot on goal.

As 71 minutes ticked by, Jota's point blank header was saved by Alisson and City made it 4-1 on the south coast through Ilkay Gundogan -- virtually assuring themselves of the title. Georginio Wijnaldum appeared at the back post to almost get another for Liverpool but the atmosphere in the stadium mirrored those of the players. 

Liverpool fans were given something else to cheer as Alexander-Arnold whipped in another fine cross for Mane to head his second goal and make the result more comfortable. Then Premier League Player of the Year Virgil van Dijk was denied by the crossbar.

But it was the result in Brighton that mattered and Liverpool missed out on the title by a single point. Though of course they do have a Champions League final on June 1 to play.