Former Arsenal player Emmanuel Eboue released on bail following arson claims
For those of you still in World Cup mode, the Premier League actually starts again in a month. England's top clubs are back in training -- here's some of the best pictures.
Things got off to a nice, informal start at Liverpool, with Georginio Wijnaldum and Virgil van Dijk enjoying a chat with Jurgen Klopp
Elsewhere, new signings Naby Keita and Fabinho were put through their paces.
Another week of hard work awaits. ????Two #LFCPreSeason games to tackle. ???? pic.twitter.com/BhRyK7bz9N
Despite lingering uncertainty over his immediate future, Antonio Conte took charge of Chelsea training on Monday, treating the players to a double session of fitness work in the sweltering heat.
Back to work at Cobham / De vuelta al trabajo en Cobham ???????????? #ComeOnBlues @ChelseaFC pic.twitter.com/Ard4G9MFl6
Things looked similarly strenuous at Manchester City, who appear to be taking their title defence incredibly seriously from the off.
Getting it done on day one... ????⚽️????️♂️ pic.twitter.com/VOuP8F72jm
Arsenal welcomed their new goalkeeper, Bernd Leno, who signed from Bayer Leverkusen over the off season.
Straight to work! ???????? Arsenal Training Centre pic.twitter.com/O3GcVENMVf
Over at Newcastle, manager Rafa Benitez was on hand to welcome Jonjo Shelvey back unto the fold.
While Eddie Howe mucked in with his Bournemouth squad as the players kicked things off with a bit of gym work
Erik Lamela, Serge Aurier and Victor Wanyama were among the big names to come through the reception at Tottenham's training complex.
Checking back in at Hotspur Way. #COYS pic.twitter.com/LK249Cez0C
You can just tell from the look on their faces, it's good to be back.
Domestic football is crowning on the horizon once again -- not that we're wishing the World Cup away before the semifinals have even been played, of course!
Antonio Conte took charge of Chelsea's preseason preparations with a double session at Cobham on Monday, sources have told ESPN FC.
The Blues players not involved in the World Cup reported to the club's training base on Saturday and Sunday for fitness tests overseen by one of the club's sports scientists, but sources told ESPN FC that Conte intended to begin working with those present on Monday unless he was sacked before then.
Chelsea's coaching situation remains uncertain. They have been attempting to extricate Maurizio Sarri from his contractual obligation to Napoli for more than a month without success, while Conte is refusing to walk away from his job as he holds out to receive full payment for the final year of his contract -- reported to be worth in the region of £9 million.
Conte is renowned for his highly vigorous approach to approach to preseason and several Chelsea players have publicly admitted to struggling with his gruelling summer programmes, though weeks of double sessions at Cobham provided the foundation for the club's surprise run to the Premier League title in the 2016-17 campaign.
The prolonged uncertainty surrounding Conte and Sarri has had a paralysing effect on Chelsea's transfer plans in a window already complicated by the World Cup and compressed by the Premier League's earlier deadline, set for Aug. 9.
Chelsea embarked upon this summer in the knowledge that big decisions would have to be made in order to return to contention at the top of the Premier League next season, while key players Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois both publicly challenged the club to show more ambition in the transfer market.
So far no signings have been made, and allowing the uncertainty surrounding their coaching situation to drag on any longer could seriously jeopardise Chelsea's preseason preparations regardless of who is in charge.
Chelsea travel to Western Australia to take on Perth Glory in a friendly on July 23, before participating in the International Champions Cup with fixtures against Inter, Arsenal and Lyon either side of facing Premier League champions Manchester City in the Community Shield on Aug. 5.
Liam is ESPN FC's Chelsea correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Liam_Twomey.
Joe Hart was among a handful of big names back at Manchester City for their first day of preseason training on Monday.
City boss Pep Guardiola returned to the Etihad Campus without the vast majority of his senior players due to their World Cup commitments.
Hart, who has spent the last two seasons on loan, firstly at Italian side Torino and last year with West Ham, was back at City after being left out of Gareth Southgate's England squad.
The 31-year-old has 12 months remaining on his contract and sources have told ESPN FC that he is seeking a permanent move away before the start of the season.
Several other loan players, including Brazilian midfielder Douglas Luiz and former New York City winger Jack Harrison, are also at the Etihad Campus.
Some young and fringe players will have the chance to stake their claim for first-team opportunities as part of the preseason International Champions Cup in the United States this month.
However, defender Eliaquim Mangala, who spent the first half of last season with the first team before going out on loan to Everton, is in Spain for rehabilitation on a knee injury.
City still have seven players competing at the World Cup this week, and a further nine players will return later after being given extra time off because of their involvement in Russia.
PFA Young Player of the Year Leroy Sane will join up with the first team on their preseason tour to the United Sates after being a part of Germany's pre-tournament training squad.
Young midfielder Phil Foden was at the Etihad Campus although a decision has not yet been named on whether he will be part of the England squad for the under-19 European Championships, which starts on July 16.
Clubs are not obliged to allow players to join up with England for the tournament in Finland and with Foden seen as a first team, Guardiola could decide to take him to the U.S.
City are still to make any new signings in the transfer window with Leicester City's Riyad Mahrez and Napoli's Jorginho remaining the club's top two targets.
Young midfielder Manu Garcia, who impressed on loan at Dutch side NAC Breda last season, has joined Ligue 1 club Toulouse on loan while fellow midfielder Aleix Garcia is set to return to Spanish side Girona on loan.
Jonathan is ESPN FC's Manchester City correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @jonnysmiffy.
Manchester United have signed United States midfielder Will Vint, the club have confirmed.
The 16-year-old was part of the group of United youngsters who flew to Austria over the weekend for a preseason training camp and will be included in the under-18s squad next season.
Vint, who played for Real Colorado as part of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy, has agreed terms at Old Trafford after impressing on trial last year.
He also had trials at Fulham and Everton, where his father, Dr. Peter Vint, was previously academy director.
He will play alongside Phil Neville's son Harvey next season after he moved to United after leaving Valencia at the end of the season.
Both Vint and Neville will get the chance to impress academy boss Nicky Butt during their stay in Austria.
Butt is one of the coaches with the players in Obertraun, along with U23s boss Ricky Sbragia and Neil Ryan, son of former first-team coach Jimmy Ryan.
Last season's U18s coach Kieran McKenna is not with the group after he made the step up to the first team following the departure of Jose Mourinho's long-time assistant Rui Faria.
The first-team players not still involved in the World Cup or on holiday are expected to report back to Carrington this week before heading to the U.S. for a five-game tour on Sunday.
Rob is ESPN FC's Manchester United correspondent. Follow him on Twitter @RobDawsonESPN.
Former Arsenal player Emmanuel Eboue was reportedly arrested on suspicion of arson this weekend before being released by police.
The Mirror reported that Eboue was detained at a police station in North London on Saturday but was released on bail on Sunday.
Metropolitan Police would not confirm the name of the man arrested in the case but said in a statement that he would only face further enquiries in relation to "malicious communications" and not arson.
"Police investigating an alleged offence at a residential address in Gladbeck Way, Enfield on Saturday, 30 June, arrested a 35-year-old man on suspicion of arson and malicious communications outside the address at around 17:00 on Saturday, 7 July," the statement said. "He was taken to a north London police station for questioning. He has since been released with no further action in respect of the arson allegation.
"He has been bailed for further enquiries in relation to the other allegations. Enquiries continue."
Eboue told the Mirror in January that he has been struggling with financial and personal problems recently.
He played for Arsenal from 2004 until 2011 before moving to Galatasaray, playing for an Arsenal legends side that faced Real Madrid in Spain last month and has been expected to also play in the return leg at the Emirates in September.
Mattias is ESPN FC's Arsenal correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @MattiasKaren.